Trees and shrubs not only enhance the beauty and increase the value of your residence, they can serve as energy savers in heating and cooling your home, as well as create an environment of relaxation for you and your family.
It is important to know the mature size and shape of your tree and shrub selections in order to insure they will dwell in their new home. Also take into account sun exposure tolerance, and watering requirements for your plant selection.
Groff’s Millpond Nursery and Landscape Co. focuses on providing our customers with locally grown tree and shrub varieties that are known to flourish in our growing zone.
*Keep in mind the success and failure of trees and shrubs begins with the proper planting and watering! Here are the proper steps to follow for planting.
1. Select proper planting location
2. Dig a wide hole approximately twice the size of the root ball; three times as wide is better, particularly for larger specimen trees and shrubs.
3. The depth of the planting hole should be no more then the height of the root ball. *It is better to plant too high then too low!
4. Place the tree or shrub in the hole and turn exposing the best side facing the direction you want.
5. If your tree or shrub is balled in burlap, now is the proper time to remove twine, burlap, etc. *It is most important for twine and burlap to be away from the top of the root ball and the trunk of the tree so if the burlap and twine are pulled away from the trunk and pushed to the bottom of the hole it is suffice as they both decompose.
6. Backfill the hole. Make sure the surrounding soil is loose this provides aeration and proper drainage. Add additional soil components and amendments as necessary to existing soil.
7. Stake the tree only if necessary!
8. Water, water, water the tree everyday up to several weeks after planting. (2-3weeks is appropriate) This helps the tree or shrub get established until the roots grow out into surrounding soil so the tree can survive on its own.
9. Fertilize your tree, although this is not required fertilizer can jump start the establishment process be sure to use a slow release starter fertilizer during the first year of establishment. *Harsh fertilizers can somtimes burn the roots of new installs so choose carefully!
*Groff’s Millpond Nursery and Landscape Co. also provides a planting service! Call 856-589-9600 for details!
*Our educated staff members will assist you with any addionational questions you may have!